Child Custody Modifications

As your children grow and mature, it is important that your child custody arrangements remain in your children's best interests. In Georgia, informal agreements between parents to modify child custody or visitation will not hold up in court. To be enforceable, a judge must approve the modification of any custody arrangement. For these and other reasons, it is important to have a skilled lawyer on your side.

For more than 20 years, people in Macon and Middle Georgia have placed their trust in attorney Lise S. Kaplan to handle their child custody issues. Our law firm represents mothers and fathers in actions to modify child custody and visitation. We understand the delicate nature of these issues and will provide exceptional legal representation and attentiveness to our clients' goals, as well as open lines of communication at every point in the process.

Changing Child Custody In Georgia

For a court to modify a custody order, the parent requesting the modification must show that there has been a new and material change in circumstances that affects the child so that the child's welfare would be enhanced by modifying the original order. These changes in circumstances could include:

  • The custodial parent is no longer able or suited to retain custody
  • Conditions or circumstances surrounding the child have changed
  • A change in either parent's living conditions
  • A change in the child's needs

In addition, judges will look at whether the proposed modification is in the best interests of the child. We have substantial experience representing both fathers and mothers and can counsel you about the likelihood of success of a potential custody modification action.

Relocation Cases

One issue in child custody cases can be when the parent with primary custody wants to move with the children. Courts will look closely at whether such a move is in the children's best interests before making a determination about what, if any, change should be made to the custody arrangement. If you want to move or if you oppose such a move, our law firm is ready to develop strong arguments on your behalf.

Contact Lise S. Kaplan, LLC, For Your Free 20-Minute Consultation

Call 478-207-5124 or complete our online contact form to get in touch with our law firm.